Saturday, February 19, 2011

Knitting, anyone?

Instead of blogging, I've been knitting lately...

With yarn from Camily, I made this winter hat which has kept me warm! Doesn't it look like a dumpling? I was trying to go for a slouchy hat and although I messed up the cast on (as you can see it's a bit big on me), I really like it!
Nadia's hat

I took the machine knitting class and with a LOT of help from the instructors, I made this:
full sweater 003
I ended up sewing the sweater using a whip stitch instead of a mattress stitch which I did on the cuffs.

Here's the sweater originally in pieces:
first_sweater 005
first_sweater 019
The orange yarn is waste yarn that we used as a foundation before using the wool yarn.

Since we use the ribber, we created a mock rib for the cuffs of the sweater. Here's a close up of the mock rib.
first_sweater 016
Machine Knitting is definitely a lot of faster than hand knitting but I admit I love the look of hand knitting and I'm more comfortable hand knitting. For me, machine knitting requires a huge learning curve.

One of my coworker is pregnant so I made these baby booties - I got this pattern from Lions Brand. They're flipped inside out, otherwise they look like flat slippers.
booties 007
booties 003

I'm still working on the moccasins from Purl Bee. The first one I made, I dropped some stitches, they are so tiny! I'm getting used to size 2 double pointed needles. I'm knit mostly with my size 10 and up needles. It's definitely requires some patience and getting used to!

I also bought some yarn for this project to make a bumpy jacket for a friend:
yarn 003
This isn't pictured but I also made an iphone cozy and currently working on a thicker scarf for my mom using Lion Brand's Pure Wool yarn.

As much as I love my knits, I really can't wait for more warmer weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment